This week i take a ride with Rob down along Adelaide stunning coastline.
- What first got you started in cycling?
Weight loss mainly, I was fairly big guy and was faced with back surgery for a bulging discs and pinched nerves or get healthy. That was early 2012. So long story short , joined a weight loss group (very intimidating) over a couple of yrs lost close to 30kgs… (that’s a great effort Rob).
- How many bikes do you own and what is your main go to bike?
I own 3 currently , main go to bike is a 2015 Cannondale High Mod Evo. Other bikes are a CAADX Ultegra disc and my MTB is a Trek.
- Are you a roadie, or do you cross over to other disciplines?
I do a bit of CX riding, recently found a love of gravel, but I would identify as Roadie really
- What bike do you covet?
I try not to covet bikes, it’s an expensive habit as it is. Apart from the new Evo disc, I’m really liking the new BMC range and I have a project on the go at the moment which is really different for me (Well that’s got me curious Rob)
- How do you store your bikes?
My Crossie and Roadie have the spare room in my house and my MTB lives in the garage.
- Do you do all your own maintenance or do you use a LBS? If so, which one?
- What cycling specific tools do you have in your “bike shed”?
Lock ring remover, Chain whips, Torque key
- What is your favourite piece of cycling kit or accessory?
My Hells 500 Grey Stripe kit or my Falls Creek Challenge sub 10 kit ( 2016) purely for the sentiment behind them.
I’ve really found my comfort in long endurance rides but these two particular events pushed my mental strength to places I didn’t know I could go .. They opened my thoughts up what can I make myself do- which led me in to running half marathons this year too.
What do you love about cycling?
All the opportunities that have opened up, the people I’ve met, friends I’ve made, the freedom it gives you, massive sense of achievement – It has changed my life really
- What annoys most about cycling?
Our sport is meant to be inclusive and welcoming – some people are not..
- Other than yourself, who is your favourite cyclist?
Peter Sagan – his bike handling skills alone are mind blowing
- If you could have dinner with 3 people in the cycling world, who would they be and why?
Phil Liggett – just to pick his brains really.. could listen to the man talk forever
Eddie Merckx – the stories that man must have would be gold
Anna Meares – no explanation really – she’s a legend
- Where would that dinner be?
Farm Shed in Hahndorf – just excellent tapas and amazing win list!
- What are your craziest/fondest cycling memories?
There are so many- so I’ve picked a few
- First 100km ride – Amys Ride 2012
- First 3 Peaks ride – was one of the best days on the bike in my life – on my CAAD10
- Seeing my mate Bria cross for her Sub 10 at this years 3 Peaks – We trained a lot together leading in to the event and it turned out to be a bloody tough day- amazing to see her do that.
- Redline Classic 2014 – with my mate Ben, day two, on the road from Yankalilla to Victor. We ended up off the front with Pat Jonker, burying ourselves to keep up. That afternoon was something that I’ll look back on for a long time and smile…an amazing experience, and
- The two Everestings I’ve completed ( so far)!
- What is your favourite post ride coffee/tea spot, and what would you normally buy as a treat?
Paddys Lantern ( Gilbert Street) Treat – just more coffee generally!
- Have you traveled overseas with the bike? If so, where?
Yes, to the UK, this year.
- Do you have a favourite overseas country you’d love to cycle in?
I really like Southern France, would love to go back with the bike
- What is your favourite local training route?
Up to Mt Lofty via Chandlers Hill, Iron bank. Its only about 35kms from my place to the summit but has some great climbs can get in about 1000vms
- What is the biggest cycling lie you have told a partner?
Haha – I won’t need to upgrade for a while
- What cycling related thing would you like for your next birthday?
Some Northwave Extreme RR shoes – It’s in Feb.. I’m 40, if anyone is feeling generous !
- Is there a local cycling outfit/company/cycling club/cycling group/person that you would like to plug?
Yes absolutely – Redline Cycling – a great club for info checkout the group on Facebook or Insta
Bicycle Express – Halifax Street/TheParade- We all prefer our own LBS, but these guys have gone above and beyond for me since I started riding
- Is there anything else you feel like talking about?
Not really – apart from next time you are on your bike and pass another rider…. wave….
Thanks Rob, it was great to meet and ride with you, you’ve come a long way in 4 years, I’ll be interested in seeing what your little project is.