Hope you had a great Xmas day with friends and family.
I would have to say that this years was one of the most relaxing for quite some time – lunch with both sides of the family and dinner with the extended family. Couldn’t quite get out for a ride on today (boxing day), but tomorrow morning is a definite.
An addition to the Wednesday Legs, I have now set up a Wednesday Legs Facebook page. I’d love to hear back from you on your thoughts on this blog, or in fact any other comments you may have on anything associated with cycling in Adelaide. Would also love for you to post any photos you take on your rides in Adelaide.
2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stages
- People’s Choice Classic – Sunday, January 20 – East End, Adelaide – 51 km
- Stage 1 – Tuesday, January 22 – Prospect – Lobethal – 135 km
- Stage 2 – Wednesday, January 23 – Mount Barker – Rostrevor – 116.5 km
- Stage 3 – Thursday, January 24 – Unley – Stirling, 139 km
- Stage 4 – Friday, January 25 – Modbury – Tanunda – 126.5 km
- Stage 5 – Saturday, January 26 – McLaren Vale – Old Willunga Hill -151.5 km
- Stage 6 – Sunday, January 27 2013 – Adelaide – 90 km
- Five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault will visit Adelaide for the final weekend of the 2013 race.
- South Australian Jack Bobridge make his debut with the Blanco Cycling Team, which is strong with Australian riders Mark Renshaw , David Tanner and Graeme Brown
- Matthew Lloyd will be the sole Australian in an otherwise all-Italian Lampre-Merida team
- Thomas De Gendt will lead Vacansoleil-DCM.
- Norweigan Edvald Boasson Hagen will ride alongside a strong contingent of Sky Pro Cycling riders including Bernhard Eisel, Australians Mathew Hayman and Chris Sutton and British riders Luke Rowe, Ian Stannard and Geraint Thomas.
- Gilbert, Schleck and Meares to star at Legends’ Night Dinner on January 26 at the Convention Centre. Further details here Legends Dinner
Sad news about Alessandro Ballan’s accident just before he was due to fly out to Australia for the TdU. A pretty serious accident on the descent of Coll de Rates which left him with a broken leg, rib and an injured spleen. Surgery to remove his ruptured spleen and and repair his fractured femur was reported to have been a success, but the Italian’s career still hangs in the balance. Speedy Recovery Alessandro.
With the Tour Down Under just a few weeks away now, the support events are starting to look for support.
A few of these that I think are worthy of support or will be very interesting given the doping coverage over the last few months are shown below.
SA Press Club – Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin January Lunch
Invitation can be accessed here SA Press Club January Lunch
I’ve been to one of these before, very interesting, but I think this one should be a doozy. If anyone is interested in booking a table, email me back on email@example.com
Flinders Medical Centre – Ride Like Crazy Lunch
The Flinders Medical Centre Foundation are hosting a luncheon for Ride Like Crazy on the 18th January 2013 with special guest Anna Meares.
The funds raised at the luncheon will be supporting the FMC Foundation and the Neurosurgical Research Foundation.
Friday 18th January 2013
Star Room, Adelaide Entertainment Centre
12pm – 2:30pm
Luncheon includes two course meal and beverages
This luncheon is part of Ride Like Crazy, an initiative of the South Australia Police.
Created in 2010, Ride Like Crazy has attracted over 6,000 riders and has donated $480,000 to charity. Proceeds from Ride Like Crazy 2013 and this lunch will support cancer research through the Flinders Medical Centre Foundation and Neurosurgical Research Foundation.
Bookings can be made through Flinders Medical Centre RLC Lunch
Ah yes, don’t forget the Ride Like Crazy on Sunday 20th January.Details here. RLC
Sneaky Sound System – TdU 15th birthday celebrations
The Santos Tour Down Under’s 15th birthday celebrations will begin at 6pm on January 19 with the team presentation in Victoria Square, home of the Tour Village opposite the Hilton Hotel.
Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen will interview the teams on stage until 7pm, while Sneaky Sound System will perform from 7.30pm onwards.
The ARIA award-winning duo will take the stage following the official team presentation in Victoria Square, with the FREE event open to all.
891 ABC Stage previews??
Last year the local ABC crew uploaded stage videos showing the complete travel in soound 4 minutes. Last years can still be seen here. 891 ABC 2012 TdU. I haven’t heard if they are going to produce some for the 2013 stages. I hope so. I’ll the add link if it is released over the next few weeks.
Red Berry Espresso Cycling Kit
A few months back I mentioned that Red Espresso were pulling together some new kit. Well, it’s in and the verdict is that it looks pretty stylish. Well done Walter. Pop in to have a closer look and place your order.
Till next week
Safe Cycling and Tight Spokes